Alkaline diet plan for weight loss
Our bodies naturally have a slightly alkaline PH. We have many mechanisms
that try to maintain this normal PH level, but if the digestive system is
constantly bombarded with acid-forming foods over many years, these
mechanisms eventually break down. Due to a modern diet bereft of fresh fruit
and vegetables and often dependent on animal protein, wheat, sugar,
processed foods, microwaved foods, carbonated drinks and alcoholic
beverages, the body chemistry can tilt toward the acidic with dire
consequences for your wellbeing. Acidosis is a condition characterized by an
abnormally raised acidity that is highly detrimental to health.
Even if you do not suffer the ill effects of acidosis, long term, a diet high
in acid-forming foods will make you more prone to weight gain, as this is one
of the mechanisms by which the body tries to maintain a normal PH level. As
a result, you will find it evermore difficult to lose surplus body fat, which the
body uses to protect itself from excess acid. A high-protein diet consisting of
mostly animal protein may give you a short-term weight loss, but long term
the consequences can be disastrous.
The Symptoms of Acidosis Include:
– Acidosis creates an environment friendly to microorganisms such as
bacteria, parasites, fungi and viral infections. One of the consequences of this
is to upset the balance of your digestive system and can give rise to food
intolerances, bloating and irritable bowl syndrome.
– It has an effect on the immune system, giving rise to autoimmune diseases
and an increased susceptibility to allergens.
– A compromised immune system will make you more prone to infection:
frequent colds, bronchitis, sinusitis and pneumonia.
– An overly acidic environment reduces the biological terrain’s oxygen level
and gives rise to low-energy levels and chronic fatigue.
– An increased bacterial level on the skin can give rise to acne.
– Bacteria, fungi and viruses can attach themselves to the inner walls of
arteries and form a plaque that restricts the flow of blood. If this plaque buildup
occurs within the coronary artery, it can give rise to heart disease, and if
this happens in the brain it can lead to memory loss and ultimately to
– Acidosis can undermine the skeletal system and can give rise to joint pains,
arthritis and osteoporosis, as well as making teeth brittle and more prone to
decay. Although other factors may contribute to the onset of such maladies,
acidosis is arguably one of the main culprits.
– A slightly acidic body chemistry creates an environment in which cancer
cells can multiply, where as a slightly alkaline body-chemistry will inhibit or
even reverse the development of cancer.
Acid-Forming and Alkaline-Forming Foods
As a general rule of thumb, animal products, processed foods, microwaved
foods, refined sugar, wheat products, rice and almost all alcoholic beverages
can be considered acid forming. Though certain foods are more acid forming
Unfortunately, these days many normally vegetarian livestock are fed
animal feed containing animal protein and all manner of highly processed,
GMO ingredients. Traditional grass-fed beef is higher in the essential fatty
acid, omega 3, and lower in calories than beef fed with animal feed, and
likely to be less acid forming. With regards to the consumption of meat, it is
almost as important as to what the animals are fed as to the type of animal
Ideally, meat dishes should be consumed no more than two or three times
a week. For those that are concerned about losing muscle mass, one of the
few sources of protein that is alkaline forming is whey protein.
Eliminating processed foods, microwaved foods and refined sugar should
not be such a tall order. Nutritious acid-forming foods are good to consume
as long as they are combed with alkaline-forming foods.
Fermented foods, cold-pressed oils and fresh fruit and vegetables are on
the whole alkaline forming. Though citrus fruits are acidic, the majority are
alkaline forming once digested, and it is this that is important to your body
chemistry. Cider vinegar, unlike most other vinegars, is also alkaline-forming
Acid and Alkaline-Forming Foods in Detail:
– Fermented vegetables, such as sauerkraut, are highly alkaline forming if not
pasteurized in which case they are mildly alkaline forming.
– Salad vegetables are highly alkaline forming.
– Almost all fresh or frozen vegetables are highly alkaline forming if not
– Green beans, soybeans and white beans are alkaline forming.
– Corn, winter squash and olives (which are usually processed in some way)
are slightly acid forming.
– Most other beans and legumes are slightly acid forming.
– Most pickled vegetables are highly acid forming unless home-pickled in
– Canned and highly processed vegetables are acid forming.
– Microwaved vegetables are highly acid forming and best avoided.
– Figs, lemons, limes, cherries (sour), banana (ripe), avocado, tomato and
watermelon are highly alkaline forming.
– Other fresh fruits are mildly alkaline forming or neutral.
– Blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, pineapple and pomegranate are mildly
– Dried fruit tend to be mildly alkaline forming.
– Canned fruit are slightly acid forming.
– Potatoes (especially with skins), cassava, lentils and wild rice are mildly
– Rice, pasta, couscous and bread are mildly acid forming.
– Aged cheese (blue or hard), soft cheese made with unpasteurized milk,
goat’s cheese, soy cheese and ewe’s cheese are alkaline forming.
– Soft cheese made with pasteurized milk is mildly acid forming.
– Processed cheese is acid forming and best avoided.
– Soured milk, buttermilk, whey, live yoghurt (whole, unpasteurized),
soymilk, goat milk and almond milk are all alkaline forming.
– Whey protein is mildly alkaline forming.
– Raw, unpasteurized cow’s milk, fresh cream and fresh unsalted butter are
– Otherwise, most pasteurized and low-fat dairy products should be
considered slightly acid forming.
– Margarine is acid forming and best avoided.
– Spelt, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa and almond flour are alkaline forming.
– Wheat flour, oats and rye are slightly acid forming.
– Extra virgin olive oil (raw) and coconut oil (raw) are slightly alkaline
– Regular heat-extracted olive oil and most other types of oil are either neutral
or slightly acid forming.
– Any vegetable oil used in frying becomes highly acid forming, apart from
– Raw honey, raw sugar, unprocessed maple syrup and stevia are mildly
– Refined sugar, fructose, pasteurized honey, processed maple syrup and
artificial sweeteners are mildly acid forming.
– Homemade mayonnaise (with extra virgin olive oil) is slightly alkaline
– Commercial mayonnaise and Ketchup are acid forming.
– Almonds and chestnuts are alkaline forming.
– Most other nuts are acid forming.
– Tofu (fermented) is alkaline forming.
– Textured soya protein is acid forming.
– Lemon and lime water are highly alkaline forming.
– Freshly squeezed orange juice is highly alkaline forming.
– Most other freshly squeezed fruit juices are alkaline forming or neutral.
– Sparkling water, all processed fruit drinks, fruit squashes and commercial
sodas are acid forming.
– Herb teas and green tea are mildly alkaline forming.
– Regular tea, coffee and drinking chocolate are acid forming.
– Cider is the only alcoholic beverage that is alkaline forming.
– Wine is mildly acid forming.
– Liquors and bear are highly acid forming.
– Apple cider vinegar is alkaline forming.
– Most other vinegars are acid forming.
– Sea salt is alkaline forming.
– Table salt is acid forming.
– Raw fermented/cured meat, such as bresaola, can be considered neutral or
mildly alkaline forming.
– Liver, organ meats and raw fish (sushi and smoked salmon) are mildly acid
– Eggs, fish, chicken and duck are acid forming.
– Beef, veal, pork, tinned fish, processed sliced meats and sausages are highly
– Any meat becomes even more acid forming if over-cooked or fried.
Note that all microwaved foods are acid forming and best avoided. There is
much scientific evidence to suggest that microwaving gives rise to a
degradation in food that decreases the bioavailability of vitamins, as well as
making the food carcinogenic (‘Health Effects of Microwave Radiation,’ by
Dr. Lita Lee).
Arguably the easiest way to help alkalinize your body chemistry is to breath
heavily or hyperventilate, as this expels carbon dioxide, which is acidic. For
those who are unable to improve their diet with enough fresh fruit and
vegetables or wish to quickly reverse the harmful effects of acidosis, the
following alkalizing supplements may help:
– The simplest way to alkalinize the body chemistry is to supplement with
magnesium and calcium in recommended doses. Most people, however,
already have plenty of calcium in their diet and supplementation with just
magnesium should suffice.
– Citrulline malate has an alkalinizing effect on the body by boosting the
body’s natural bicarbonate level.
– HMB helps prevent metabolic acidosis, as well as many other health
– One of the few food supplements to have a strong alkalizing effect on the
body is aloe vera, which can be consumed as a juice, but be careful not to buy
a product that is highly processed or heat-treated.
– Bicarbonate of soda, which is a chemical used in many antacid preparations
and in baking, has a powerful alkalizing effect on the body, but do not
consume with food, as it neutralizes stomach acid. Always take antacid with
a magnesium supplement as antacid depletes magnesium. Large doses of
antacid can prove fatal. Alternatively, a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda can
be added to an enema.
Preparing Bicarbonate of Soda to Drink
Take a large beaker and add half a flat teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to two
to three tablespoons of cider vinegar. The cider vinegar also has an
alkalinizing effect on the body but should neutralize some of the harmful
effect caused by too much antacid in the stomach. Leave to froth, then top up
with water. The taste of the vinegar should be completely neutralized.
This admixture is best taken on an empty stomach before retiring to bed,
as the bicarbonate of soda can still neutralize stomach acid even if taken with
cider vinegar. If food is not broken down by adequate stomach acid, it can
ferment in the gut and give rise to all manner of complications.
An antacid should only ever be consumed with caution and is not
recommended for long periods of time or as a substitute to healthy eating.
Always take with a magnesium supplement to offset magnesium depletion.
Do not take an antacid at the same time as any medication.
alkaline diet plan for weight loss, alkaline diet meal plan for weight loss, alkaline diet recipes, alkaline solution, alkaline based foods, alkaline diet benefits, alkaline diet plan, alkaline vegetables, alkaline diet recipes, what are alkaline foods, what is an alkaline diet